Website National Wildlife Federation
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF or Federation) is America’s largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 53 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. The Federation’s mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
To support our mission, we are seeking an Agriculture Policy Specialist to join our Land Stewardship Team at the National Advocacy Center in Washington, DC. (Due to COVID-19 all employees are working remotely until at least September).
In this role, you will advise and assist the Director of Agriculture Policy in NWF’s work on the conservation and climate provisions of the Farm Bill, and other agriculture related legislative and policy issues. Portfolio issue areas will include: promoting climate beneficial agriculture practices and policy, diversification of agriculture systems, agriculture appropriations, and other conservation related agriculture policy issues.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Performing policy analysis and research
- Working with the Policy Director to develop and execute a lobbying and advocacy strategy around assigned legislative and administrative policy issues.
- Developing educational and outreach materials, including factsheets, white papers, and blog posts
- Building and maintaining relationships with key agency and Congressional staff
- Collaborating with and supporting NWF’s lobby team and policy staff to further key legislative goals and priorities
- Serving as an NWF policy representative on key coalitions
- Intra-organizational communication and coordination.
- Four-year degree required, in environmental policy, climate, agriculture, or related field.
- At least five years of relevant professional experience, preferably with at least one year of experience in policy analysis, advocacy, or lobbying at the federal, state, or local level.
- Experience working with coalitions or NGO partnerships.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to translate highly technical information for a public audience and for Congressional and agency offices.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Takes initiative and is a self-starter and eager to learn
- Well organized with excellent attention to detail. Has ability to juggle multiple tasks, set goals, and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills.
- Ability to work well with diverse interests, including sportsmen, conservation, agriculture, and environmental justice interests.
- Experience working with or for Congress and/or conducting Congressional outreach
- Understanding of agriculture conservation practices and/or policy issues
- Knowledge of legislative process.
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF’s mission
3-4 times per year (when travel restrictions are lifted post-pandemic)
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is currently $65,000-$70,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
The National Wildlife Federation values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. Our paid time-off includes 3 weeks of vacation leave, open wellbeing leave, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, a week-long winter break, and additional leave options, per year. In addition, our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid life insurance, AD&D, short and long-term disability, 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, 403b retirement plan with employer matching and annual contribution, adoption benefits, and flexible work options including telecommuting, non-traditional work hours, and compressed work weeks. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. You are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and if you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
Candidates must submit a cover letter and resume.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.