Champlain Orchards is managed through advanced IPM protocol with EcoApple certification.
Critical pest and nutrient management decisions must be made daily to ensure health of the
crop, trees, and orchard ecosystem. The director is responsible for organization and oversight of
pruning, planting, fertilizing, spraying, thinning, mowing, harvesting, and storage of fruit. The
director must possess a high level of practical orchard operation experience, entomology & tree
fruit knowledge; and must enjoy and be familiar with equipment operation, physical hard work,
and working outdoors year-round. They must be self-motivated, enjoy teaching and leading
staff, and able to work weekends and nights on occasions.
- Oversee advanced IPM scouting and analysis of result and planned action.
- Ensure overall health of fruit trees including spraying, fertilization, rodent and animal control throughout the orchards, adhering to EcoApple standards.
- Monitor daily/weekly weather reports via NEWA website, and ensure appropriate action is taken
based on the weather and pest information.
- Communicate quality and productivity expectations for the orchard managers and staff, monitor
success, evaluate, and implement changes to improve quality and productivity.
- Ensure implementation, adherence to, and reporting of GAP, GMP, EcoApple, and organic
standards to ensue certifications are maintained.
- Maintain proper Records and reporting of key data – i.e.; crop estimates, bud counts, and
Integrated Pest Management.
- Create and implement standard operating procedures for the departments.
- Recruit, train and supervise the staff employed under the department.
- Create and oversee opportunities for staff cross-training within the departments.
- Attend weekly Managerial meetings with Owners.
- Create a daily, weekly, and monthly work schedule for staff under their supervision.
- Plan and lead public orchard tours and workshops.
- Lead implementation of cutting edge modern orchard practices, techniques, and equipment.
- Oversee the overall maintenance and care of all the various properties and all buildings located
- Make decisions about equipment use, maintenance, modification and procurement.
- Oversee the preventative maintenance and repair of all equipment and tools used in the
horticultural area, as well as, the construction area
- Ensure organization and proper storage of all tools and essential equipment and parts.
- Oversee the maintenance of the fruit trees, such as pruning, thinning, and tree spreading.
- Oversee the overall mowing and maintenance of the orchard grounds, including brush chipping
- Oversee the harvesting of the fruit throughout the various seasons.
- Ensure apples destined for cold storage arrive in a timely manner and are properly identified and
entered in receiving computer system.
- Plan, organize and oversee the ordering and planting of new fruit trees.
- Research various ways to modernize/improve efficiency.
- Oversee and ensure proper irrigation and drainage work installation and operation.
- Ensure proper maintenance and installation of trellis.
- Oversee maintenance and renovations of all buildings and surrounding grounds.
- Oversee maintenance, repair, and replacement of all apple bins.
- Ensure proper recordkeeping/guidelines for EcoApple certification and organic certification.
- Attend various annual conferences and tours – such as: Cornell University, IFTA annual
meeting/tour, EcoApple annual meeting.
- Keep up to date on procedures pertaining to modern orchard maintenance thru periodicals,
workshops, websites, and emails – such as those from Cornell University and NEWA.
Education, experience, and abilities
- Bachelor degree (Agricultural focus desired)
- Five years of related horticultural and construction work experience.
- A solid background in the horticultural field is crucial.
- Must possess a high level of practical orchard operations, entomology & tree fruit
- Must be familiar with equipment operation, physical hard work, and working outdoors year
- Must be self-motivated, enjoy teaching and leading staff, and able to work weekends as
- Excellent leadership ability
- High level of analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal, written and listening communication skills
- Excellent time management and stress management abilities.
- The individual shall possess the character qualities of being honest, trustworthy, respectful,
sound work ethics, and passionate and proud of their work.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related
duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your current, relevant Resume, 3 professional references and a cover letter
or by completing a Champlain Orchards Job Application.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com