POSITION TITLE: Extension Weed Specialist
TYPE OF POSITION: This is a 12 month, tenure track (90% Extension, 10% research) position housed in the Department of Plant Sciences.
EMPLOYER: North Dakota State University
EMPLOYER DESCRIPTION: http://www.ndsu.edu/president/
LOCATION: NDSU Main Campus, Fargo, ND
LOCATION DESCRIPTION: http://www.fmwfchamber.com/community_live_quality.php
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
BENEFITS: Benefited – includes retirement plan and full coverage for family health insurance.
CLOSING DATE OF COMPETITION: Open Until Filled
DATE POSITION AVAILABLE: Screening Date – 4/16/2018
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
The North Dakota State University (NDSU) Extension Service and Department of Plant Sciences is recruiting a highly motivated faculty member to serve as the state weed specialist for North Dakota. The NDSU Extension Service is an organization that values people who excel, adapt easily, exhibit passion for helping others and are excellent communicators. The weed specialist is a member of a statewide Extension Agriculture and Natural Resources team responsible for providing leadership to create and deliver innovative learning experiences that empower North Dakotans to improve their lives and communities.
This is a 12 month, tenure track position at the academic level of assistant professor with a 90% Extension and 10% research appointment. The successful specialist will provide leadership for a strong statewide Extension program focused on weed management in small grains, row crops (except sugarbeet and potato), specialty crops, and range and pasture. The position responsibilities include educating Extension staff, allied industry workers, and agricultural professionals on weed identification and making economically and environmentally sound management recommendations; providing innovative Extension programs that capitalize on the appropriate personal, media and digital training and delivery systems; and providing support and technical expertise to plant diagnosticians in weed and herbicide injury identification. Applied weed management research should be conducted to augment Extension programs. The specialist is expected to advise graduate students and secure extramural funding to support research activities and Extension programming. The individual will maintain effective working relationships with NDSU Plant Sciences faculty, Extension agents and specialists, county weed officers, and commodity and industry groups. In addition, the individual is expected to participate in the success of the Department of Plant Sciences, NDSU Extension, and NDSU through service on selected committees. Conduct in a professional and collegial manner with NDSU faculty, staff and students, appropriate commodity groups and stakeholders is expected. The person will be located in the Department of Plant Sciences at NDSU, Fargo, N.D. Travel off-campus is required to carry out Extension programs.
The successful candidate will report to the Department of Plant Sciences Head.
- Ph.D. in weed science at time of appointment or Ph.D. in related area with demonstrated experience in weed science
- Broad knowledge in crop production, herbicide use, weed management practices, and weed identification taxonomy
- Demonstrated ability to provide educational programs for agents, farmers and crop advisors;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Sufficient aptitude in computer applications and technology to meet position requirements
- Ability to conduct and publish research
- North Dakota Commercial Applicator License or ability to obtain; and valid U.S. driver’s license or equivalent
- Skill in diagnosing plant injury symptoms
- Experience with Northern Plains agriculture
- Extension or teaching experience or similar activity in industry
- Successful publication of Extension and research results in popular press and professional journals
- Grant writing experience
- Experience in multiple educational pedagogies applied appropriately for a given audience
SUBMIT TO: Applications must be submitted online. The Quicklink for Job Opening: http://jobs.ndsu.edu/postings/9078
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://jobs.ndsu.edu/postings/9078 →