As part of MSU Extension (MSUE) and the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute, the Southwest Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Educator will provide Berrien County and regional support and statewide IPM programming leadership as necessary to address client IPM priority needs that align with the Fruit and Vegetable Work Teams, as well as other Work Teams as appropriate. This position will serve to enhance collaboration across Work Teams, institutes, community groups and clients. The Southwest IPM Educator will engage faculty, specialists and educators to address client needs by acting as a conduit of communication between campus and clientele. The successful applicant will: identify and address the needs of clientele groups; design, implement and evaluate educational programming that is evidence (research) based; secure outside funding to support their efforts and ensure dissemination of research-based information through various platforms, including, in-person education, social media, distance learning technologies, written articles, bulletins, and one-on-one consultations. There will be opportunity to conduct applied research and report those results to address the needs of stakeholders. The successful applicant will also serve as a resource for Extension personnel and clientele in Berrien County, where the position will be located.
- Develop, conduct, and evaluate innovative educational programs in integrated pest management for the specialty crop industries in southwest Michigan. This may include monitoring of pests and conducting ICM training sessions to encourage adoption of new technologies and techniques in horticulture and pest management;
- Communicate and interact with community groups to evaluate the needs of the clientele;
- Serve as an information resource to clientele, partners and Extension staff;
- Collaborate with MSU Extension staff to conduct and evaluate programming efforts;
- In concert with the MSUE work team(s), work with federal, state and county agencies to complete needs assessment of the community and develop effective programming;
- Create and promote positive public relations for MSU Extension and the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute;
- Author, produce and submit regular research-based educational articles;
- Develop and utilize appropriate media methods to communicate current and timely information, research results, and relevant industry updates, as well as a schedule of current and future activities;
- Actively participate in professional development opportunities;
- Gather and report programming outputs and impacts, to demonstrate program effectiveness and to guide future program priorities for MSUE, the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute and the work group(s) aligned with;
- Work to ensure that community needs assessments, program development and recruitment efforts include the engagement of Michigan’s diverse residents across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences;
- Understand and implements Civil Rights policies and procedures;
- Other duties or projects as assigned by the Institute Director.
Position is planned to recur every Fall Semester
Masters -Horticulture, Entomology, Plan Pathology
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in a field of study related to horticulture, entomology, plant pathology, or crop science, with knowledge of integrated management principles, must be earned by date of hire;
- Demonstrated ability and skill in educational program planning, implementation and evaluation;
- Ability to create and carry-out a project plan from research of initial concept to project completion and follow-up;
- Experience with marketing/promotion of educational programs;
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Experience and proven ability working productively with a team;
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently in an office environment without daily supervision and/or coaching;
- Proficiency in use of technology (e.g. web research, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook for mail/calendaring, distance technology, etc.) for day-to-day work and educational program delivery, record keeping, reporting, team-based communications and overall management;
- Demonstrated success in program development and delivery to diverse audiences/communities including but not limited to race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences;
- Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences to assist with program development and outreach;
- Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards;
- Ability to lift and carry educational materials, equipment, etc. up to 25 lbs.;
- Ability to travel in local and surrounding communities and occasional long distance travel are required as a regular part of this position;
- Transportation is the responsibility of the employee;
- Other skills and/or physical abilities required to perform duties of the position.
- 3-years’ experience in Extension program delivery or demonstrated ability and skill in educational program planning, implementation and evaluation (relevant experience acquired within the last 5-years preferred).
- Knowledge of general farming practices related to specialty crop production and knowledge of those industries;
- Experience in conducting on-farm applied research;
- Experience analyzing and interpreting results;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct several projects simultaneously;
- Experience in successful contract and grant writing.
Required Application Materials
Candidates are asked to submit a current resume/CV, cover letter and four (4) professional references.
This position is a full-time, fixed term end-dated appointment renewable annually based upon successful performance and continued funding.
This position will remain open until filled with initial applicant review to begin the week of August 20, 2018.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com