Website Minnesota Department of Agriculture
This a full-time, permanent position with the State of Minnesota located in St Paul, Minnesota. This position exists in the Pest Detection and Management Unit, which is part of the Plant Protection Division at Minnesota Department of Agriculture.
This position is classified as a Research Scientist 2 and duties for this position will include:
• Direct policy and lead multi-agency planning efforts related to prevention, early detection and rapid response to invasive pests
• Direct project staff and budgets, and work collaboratively with scientists and other professionals within the Department of Agriculture
• Design surveys and other activities related to target pests, as well as analyze and report resulting data
• Lead inspections and issue state directives in the case of detections of target pests, as well as investigate violations of quarantine or other MDA directives
Candidates must meet these minimum qualifications to apply:
• A Bachelor’s in Biology, Entomology, Botany, Plant Pathology, or equivalent AND three years of professional level experience conducting survey, applied science or research of insects, plant pathogens or plant biology. (A Master’s Degree in Biology, Entomology, Botany, Plant Pathology, or equivalent may substitute for one year of experience.)
• Knowledge of scientific survey and sampling techniques, including knowledge of invasion biology
• Leadership skills sufficient to guide activities related to survey, outreach and regulations for invasive plant insects and diseases, and explain those activities to partners and clientele.
• The ability to operate computer software including word processing, spreadsheets and web browsers.
• Working knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), databases, statistical analysis packages.
• The ability to plan, organize, execute and evaluate research designs and activities independently.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills sufficient to write reports, summarize results, interpret technical information, and prepare information for distribution and publication.
• Possess and maintain an active/valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record subject to review.
Preferred qualifications for candidates include:
• Master’s Degree or PhD in Biology, Entomology, Botany, Plant Pathology, or equivalent.
• Experience conducting research of insects, plant pathogens and plant biology.
• Experience writing and managing grants.
This is a 40 hour/week position and the salary range is $52,659 – $77,590 annually
Applications will be accepted through November 1, 2017, to apply visit the job posting at the Minnesota Careers Builder Website: https://careers.mn.gov/psp/hcm92apc/MNCAREERS/HRCR/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1001 search JOB ID 16975
For more information contact Angie Ambourn.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://careers.mn.gov/psp/hcm92apc/MNCAREERS/HRCR/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1001 →