The University of Minnesota Department of Soil, Water, and Climate (SWAC) and Water Resources Center (WRC) seek to hire a soil health specialist who can provide expertise and educational programming on soil health issues for conservation and agricultural professionals in Minnesota. This is a full-time position within the University of Minnesota Extension system and is the centerpiece of the newly formed Minnesota Office for Soil Health.
See the full position description and learn more at www.swac.umn.edu/about- us/employment.
- 12-month non-tenure track
- Full-time appointment
- Extension and research responsibilities and accountability.
- Housed in the Department of Soil, Water, and Climate on the St. Paul Campus.
- Frequent travel around the state is expected.
- A Ph.D. degree at the time of hire in soil science, crop science, agronomy, or related field;
- Research or practical experience working with one or more of the following: nutrient cycling, soil or crop management, soil genesis, soil microbiology, soil chemistry, soil fertility, and soil physics;
- Demonstrated achievement in written communication
- Experience working effectively in interdisciplinary research and extension teams and with diverse clientele groups including farmers, agricultural advisors, agency staff, and researchers;
- Track record of publications and grants in areas related to soil health;
- Experience with cover crops, perennial crops, tillage practices, and other sustainable cropping systems;
- Experience in outreach and educational programming, and documented effectiveness in conducting and disseminating applied research;
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- (70% time) Provide leadership and effective Extension programming on issues and initiatives related to soil health
- (30% time) Develop a collaborative, applied research program on the impact of soil health on sustaining agricultural production and protecting water resources. Peer reviewed publications and pursuit of extramural funding are expected.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include University retirement; group life, medical, and dental insurance plans. The position is available immediately. Detailed benefits information is available at: http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/benefits/index.html.
How to Apply:
Apply online. See the full position description and learn more at www.swac.umn.edu/about-us/employment.
Review of applications will begin January 2, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. Direct inquiries to: Stacy Nordstrom.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.swac.umn.edu/about- us/employment →