Central Life Sciences
Central Garden & Pet’s Central Life Sciences Research & Development team is searching for a Sr. Product Development Entomologist for their Dallas, TX laboratory. This position is part of a multi-disciplined team responsible for product development of EPA-registered products for the professional, consumer animal health, and equine business units. He/she will primarily focus on companion animal ectoparasiticide product development, but there will be a need to work cross functionally and have a working knowledge in vector, structural pest control and livestock.
Central Garden & Pet Company (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA) is a leading innovator, marketer and producer of quality branded products for the pet and lawn and garden supplies markets. The Central Life Sciences (CLS) business unit is dedicated to improving the health, well-being, and the protection of companion animals, economic animals, plants, stored grains and the environment. Please see our website at www.central.com or www.centrallifesciences.com for additional company information.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Demonstrated ability to work seamlessly with other disciplines within a science-based organization. Initiate and assist with the development of products and processes with all functional areas (Formulations, Analytical Chemistry, Toxicology, Regulatory Affairs, Quality Assurance, Marketing, Technical Services, and Production)
- Formulate and design comprehensive plans for initiating, implementing and conducting efficacy studies, working closely with project managers to assure that time schedules and critical deadlines are met
- Select suitable research facilities and execute protocols or select qualified researchers to execute protocols
- Initiate and monitor studies according to current federal regulations and company policies
- Analyze and interpret results of studies, write study reports and prepare data for submission to regulatory agencies, where appropriate
- Provide technical support to marketing and sales groups before and after product launch
- Attend scientific meetings, continuing education courses and keep abreast of professional publications and newest developments in applicable discipline areas.
- Working knowledge of the regulatory rules and procedures for the approval of various specialty and animal health products, including EPA pesticide registration and EPA Good Laboratory Practices
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
- M.S. or Ph. D in entomology with an emphasis in medical/veterinary entomology
- Five to ten years-experience in product development of on-animal ectoparasiticides with a focus on companion animal. Additional experience with livestock, vector or structural pest control product development will be a plus
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of chemistry is required; competence in mathematics is of considerable importance
- Proficiency with computer software, to include word processing, spreadsheets and database management. Current environment is Microsoft Office and Project
- Efficient understanding of statistics and statistical programs
- Effective problem-solving skills are often required when developing test systems/methodology during screening and testing in the development process
- This position requires an exceptionally high degree of creativity and innovation in implementing existing technologies and adapting new ones
- Must be able to effectively operate with both internal and external collaborators
- Detail orientated and must be a self-starter
- Ability to multi-task is paramount
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing and participate in a team environment
- Must be able to lead as well as take direction
- Must work well within a team atmosphere with multi-disciplines and multi-cultural environment
- Project management skills and experience a plus
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing schedules and work load
- Incumbent must present him/herself professionally at all times and maintain a high degree of integrity and confidentiality
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner; a high degree of concentration is also required to achieve desirable results.
- Occasional travel may be required at times up to 20% but will vary by month and job demands.
- Must be able to conduct and participate in field work which could require working in adverse environmental conditions for several days around animals and arthropods.
- The position involves the occasional operation of large equipment.Physical exertion commensurate to the operation of such equipment and ability to move as much as 50 pounds of materials are requisite.
To apply for this job please visit chj.tbe.taleo.net.