Green Shield Certified accredits providers of effective, prevention-based pest control while minimizing the use of pesticides in commercial buildings & residential homes, landscapes and on college & corporate campuses.
The first step in becoming certified is scheduling an on-site visit where an expert will review current IPM strategies, pesticide products used and overall business practices. Call Leah McSherry at 608-502-7303 or email email@example.com to schedule your evaluation or for more information.
Green Shield Certified is an independent, non-profit certification program that promotes practitioners of effective, prevention-based pest control while minimizing the need to use pesticides.
Because our approach addresses the underlying cause of pest problems, it is more effective than conventional spray-intensive services. Green Shield Certification is available to qualifying pest management providers and to buildings, facilities and programs where our standards are attained.
Green Shield offers certification:
- For Pest Management Providers who certify their entire business, making all of their services Green Shield certified.
- For individual services offered by Pest Management Providers who also offer conventional, non-certified services.
- For facilities including single buildings, multiple buildings, schools or campuses.
- For landscapers and landscapes.
Green Shield benefits include:
- Press release upon certification
- Marketing materials
- GSC logo kit
- Quarterly webinars
- One-on-one consultations
- Social media support
Green Shield Certified is recognized by other leading green programs and offers transfer of credits against their programs:
- Green Shield Certified is one of two national certification programs that qualifies for the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Office of Affordable Housing Preservation’s Mark-to-Market Green Incentives Program.
- Green Shield Certified is recognized by the US Green Building Council as a qualifying certification for pest management companies contracting with LEED-certified facilities, and is recognized in the IPM credit requirements for LEED v4.
An integrated approach to pest management
Green Shield Certified uses Integrated Pest Management (IPM), which is a proven, cost-effective strategy to combat pest problems without unnecessary pesticide use. By correcting the conditions that lead to pest problems and using approved pesticides only when necessary, IPM provides more effective pest control while reducing pesticide use.
Reducing pesticides where we live, work and play
Spray-intensive pest control approaches may make pests go away, but don’t address the root of the pest problem. IPM focuses on long-term, preventive strategies to combat pests. Actions such as improving sanitation practices, installing door sweeps to keep out mice or insects, and fixing leaking plumbing to remove access to water can all reduce the number of pests and prevent pests from coming back. Knowledgeable professionals thoroughly inspect your property and carefully monitor for pests.
Years of research show that IPM is economical and often more effective than conventional pest control measures:
- 95% reduction in cockroach infestation and allergen contamination in low-income housing after initiation of IPM services.1
- 93% reduction in pesticide use in federal government buildings by using IPM techniques over 10 years.2
- 50% reduction in roach populations documented by an IPM intervention in a public housing facility, versus no significant reduction in a control group over six months.3
- 30% decrease in public building and grounds pest management costs when one city switched to IPM in 1996.4